Friday, August 15, 2008

Screening in LA by Remote - August 15, 2008



I actually feel weird about this one. The Downtown FF website is a bit shy about giving the filmmakers an easy to navigate
description of how's, what's, who's - you know the drill. I couldn't find anything about the theater we're screening in - much less it's location. On another site I googled it looks like an arena that classic rock bands like Mott the Hoople and Spinal Tap play, so it has more seats than the usual venue. Like if there was 500 people they would be a small cluster in front of the stage. If we were the Batman Dark Night movie I'd feel like we had a chance but this? 2000 seats and no PR?

So we hired a writer/blogger on Craigslist to attend the screening and then give us the lowdown on how the show went down, and that is a poor choice of words. I'm writing this on our editing Mac so the writing is very tiny and the keyboard doesn't have letters, only shortcut icons and colored keys. The weirder thing is that someone kept killing our ad to get a reporter to cover the screening. We had to post it three times in one day because some fucking troll kept killing us off. I heard there is an eclipse of Uranus tonight, so that definitely cannot help.

So the whole thing is a squincher. (as in that eclipse you're having, yes) I really don't want to be there but I think I should be there but I can't be there because I'm shooting in the morning and then driving Dona to Vermont to move stuff so she and Brad can go live in Rome because he won the Rome Prize. Simple country folk made to live in Rome, can you imagine? Horrible.

So, there will be a report from LA, from one or two sources, and quite soon. Will I let it slide if the report is a ride with "Death of an Indie"? No fucking way, Jose. We'll have a new updated film fest listaval too because we got the green from Mill Valley. Yah mahn.

Love or mercy,
Paul

No comments: